Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Beginner Builder




My husband is a Ford man. Has been all his life. To be specific, Ford trucks. I knew this when I met him but I am not sure I fully understood his Ford Fever until we got our first slick.
It was free, always the best price, and a little bit rough around the edges. But he said it could be my truck and that we would build it together. I had been wanting things that we could do together, and loved that I could learn something new, and spend time with my husband all while enjoying one of his favorite hobbies.
I had no idea how easy ‘slickitis’ was to catch. As soon as we brought home that first one, I started noticing them on the road, then in fields. Then I started looking for them, spotting a for sale sign here and there and wondering if we could find another so we would each have one.
Today there are 4 at our house. 1 that is my hubby’s daily driver, a short bed ‘65. He made a '66 into a short bed although it began its life as a long bed. Another '65 came by way of a trade with the neighbor for some work on his home, and we still have that first one that was brought home for me.
About that first truck, well that is where this story really begins. But I still don’t know where it will go. After a few years of that first truck sitting with no movement, we are finally ready to start the build project. I plan to take pictures throughout the project and share what I learn. I am NOT a mechanic, or a builder. Everything I know I have learned from either the basics my Dad taught me to make it through owning a car, or what my husband has so patiently helped me to learn.
I hope to give you a newbie’s perspective and hopefully we will see this project complete at some point down the road. (Let it be a short road!)
Starting Point:
1966 Twin I Beam F250
Custom Cab
padded dash
V-8 352 (ran on gravity fed gas from a soda bottle when we brought it home)
manual 4 speed 435 (new venture? This is leaving anyway)
Full interior and exterior trim package
a rare rust free front bed wall
The typical front fender dent. Mine was from the former owner’s drunk driving incident at Rut-N-Cutters mini mart 18th & Main Springfield. The reinforced concrete wall lost.
extra special window decals - Since they are not youth appropriate they will have to go.

Keep watching for more on this build and others from the group.
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment